Monday, June 2, 2008

Dumb As a Doorknob



Where does this phrase, which accurately relates to "Dubya" Bush, come from? Did it originate with Bush? I doubt it as he is not bright enough to think of such
a phrase.


In fact, William Sheakespeare used a similar phrase, "dumb as a doornail", in Henry VI, part 2.

Another famous Brit also used it. Charles Dickens used the phrase "dumb as a doornail" in his well-known Christmas Carol.

A doornail was the nail that the doorknocker rested on. Actually, it was a plate or a knob. A doornail which was dead was a used one that had its tip mashed after it was pounded into the door so it could not be used again.

Besides this, you may have heard the phrase "if walls could talk,....". Walls can't talk; they are dumb, as in unable to speak. The phrase "deaf and dumb" relates to this quality.

In the most recent US political situation, the former Chief of Staff of the White House, is not "dumb as a doorknob"; he speaks well for what he witnessed while around Dubya and his gang.

A few Bushisms which reveal his intellectual capacity follow:

"I think I need a bathroom break. Is this possible?"

"See, in my line of work you gotta keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to set in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."

To a mother of three children, he said, "You work three jobs? ...Uniquely American,isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that."

"We are ready for any unforeseen event which may or may not happen."

"A clear lesson I learned in the museum was that outside forces that tend to divide people up inside their country are unbelievably counterproductive."

"I don't particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it."

No comments: