Monday, December 22, 2008

How Can Life Exist?






This question has bothered me for such a long time. No matter how science tries to explain the origin of life, it does not seem logical to me. There are elements in the scientific explanations which are somewhat rational, but how did the first living thing actually become a living thing?

This reminds me of an illustration that I have used several times in my ministry as a pastor and missionary. It goes like this:

An agnostic kept his opinions very public. He often talked loudly of how he did not believe in God, that everything happened according to scientific laws that nobody actually could explain.

A Christian man was quite tired of hearing this agnostic's views. Finally, the Christian man confronted the agnostic. He invited him to accompany him to his home to see something.

When they got inside, the Christian took the agnostic to the basement and turned on the light. Then, he turned on an electrical switch. The agnostic was really interested and studied the sight which took up much of the space in the basement. What he saw was a working model of the sun, the planets including Earth, and the moons around the various planets. The electric switch made the model move consistently with the movements of our solar system.

"Who made this?" was the agnostic's first question.

The Christian simply said, "Nobody."

The agnostic got the point. Something which is made needs a maker. Just as surely as someone made that model of the Solar System, the real thing also needed a maker. The only intelligent agent to fabricate such a perfect model is God.


I like this story, which is why I have used it several times. Still, I can't understand life. Why am I alive? How can I be alive? When did I start being alive? How long will I be alive? Will my life actually ever end? Will I not go on being who I am, even after this body dies? So many questions!!

No comments: